Friday, September 16, 2016

Excuse him, he doesn't have any manners...

Source: My NPD father
Year: 2005
My age: 23


It was the second half of 2005 and I was paying the price of moving back home. My dad had fired me making me have to improvise everything, my ex was starting to show his true colors around that time on top of the fact of making me drink industrial amounts of alcohol because he didn't want to drink alone. The result of the stress and damage my stomach was enduring was just incredible. Sure I always had relatively high amounts of anxiety and stress and my stomach wasn't going to win any eating contests but I was relatively healthy... until this phase which left me unable to keep anything down (even water) and with heartburn and acid reflux so bad that I couldn't go anywhere without tums or I'd be physically incapacitated.

After repeatedly telling me he'd make me an appointment with his doctor (he actually operated on him), my ex decided to grace me with the honor of actually doing it. I was probably going to need an endoscopy, a lot of expensive tests, and probably surgery. My situation was as bad as it can get without havinc a ruptured stomach ulcer. Since I had been fired by my dad (I did screw up a little because of my ex) I was left with virtually no income and no medical coverage. I was going to need to get a new job with coverage or have my dad help me pay for the medical expenses. He was still mad at me so I never got him to care at all about my health. All he would do was say it was my fault. If I regurgitated or involuntarily burped in front of him he would just yell at me or insult me. He was demeaning and the fact that he couldn't care less about my extreme health problem just because he was mad at me is one of the key evidence I have to prove his condition.

One day we were having lunch at this Mexican food place (was I thrilled about that). I got the mildest things I could and was trying my best to keep my mouth shut and anticipate the spontanous burping and regurgitating (having to learn how to swallow your own regurgitation without having anyone notice is not a skill I wish anyone to develop). I was trying for the 100th time to get him to help me out with the medical bills, I had a rough week, I was very stressed out just by being at the same table with him. Out of the blue, this massive, loud, extremely conspicuous burp came out of nowhere, I wasn't able to stop it, cover my mouth or do anything about it, I was mortified. Instead of having any sort of concern for me (despite what was obviously embarrassing for him and my mom too) he decided that making an even bigger scene was the right course of action. Some people were already staring but to ensure maximum attention he promptly got up and from the top of his lung he said almost shouting it: "Forgive him, he doesn't have any manners". Words can't describe how I felt at that moment. All I could do was get up and leave, deciding to walk all the way to a friend's house to share my story, get to vent a little, and of course go get a smoothie (in lieu of coffee) which I couldn't keep down.

No comments:

Post a Comment